MineScape Origins

Dablakbandit

Dablakbandit

Administrator
Staff member
For the new people that are joining us over the past few weeks, and to old players who have stuck with us through everything.

We appreciate you all and wish you well on this amazing journey that we are undertaking, recreating a beloved game inside many others beloved game.

This will be an informal, but a rather informational post about the history of MineScape, its conception & origins. We knew a day would come when we would have to explain our rocky start, and due to false rumors by certain people we hoped had better judgement, people who gave up their rights to have a say a long time ago. Its finally here.

The origins:

The server would be born, when I responded to a forum request for a developer to create what we now all know and love: MineScape.

Our collective goal in mind: recreate as close as possible, RuneScape in Minecraft. From a user who which, I'd had a few interactions with previously, but would deny his identity for a good while to come, as it carried a bad reputation. We got to talking around the initial basics of how things would be implemented with many ideas being shared. I would replace their current developer, and we would become co-owners and splitting the profits 50/50.

Now, why would someone deny their identity you may ask? Because they were trying to distance themselves from their history of scamming, of which they literally admit to in this post: https://www.mc-market.org/threads/106407/#post-1193527 (mirror: shorturl.at/nEJQ1). This person was reselling paid plugins, packaged as a server for profit, even containing a RuneScape themed Bank plugin from spigot of which I had created. Whilst this was known to me at the time, I was naive and foolishly thought that they could change their ways.

What would follow was fair time of good interactions, initializing & setting the server up, writing multiple tens of thousands lines of code solely by me, to create the basic foundation of the game, whilst the other owner worked on organizing the other aspects like getting a community together, and creating a store.

The hell:

The time would come, we would open for an alpha test, there was of course the initial breakages, reports & bugs, but they would be addressed and fixed. How would you get into the alpha? By purchasing founders of course(not my plan)! So in came the donations, not particularly much, just a few hundred dollars, but for a project we had received nothing for whilst being worked on for a few months, it was something to keep us motivated and going.

Then the broken promises, excuses and lies begun. Every time I would request for my half of the donations, excuses are the only reply I got. He would only pay up when I would repeatedly request payments for server hosting, that I had already paid and needed reimbursement. Eventually I gave up asking, and would 'joke' about getting paid which would always be laughed at and subject soon being changed. So much for being a "(co) owner" right? This would continue for the next 2 years, I was essentially working for free whilst someone else got paid. The only payment I got was to see my code working on a server that I was an "(co) owner" of.

Then, it happened, the last straw would be snapped. What would cause it? An insult. Who was insulted? Unfortunately it wasn't me that was being insulted. I couldn't care less if you insult me. You can insult me all day, and I will just look at you and laugh, because you are only insulting someone else, because of your own downfalls. No, he would insult the girl that I cared about so deeply, a girl that I loved and still love to this very day.

Servers were shutdown, lawsuits were threatened and MineScape would go dark.

The peace:

There's a word to describe the feeling I would have though, a strange feeling of peacefulness, of being freed from the invisible chains that bound you, a feeling of.. tranquility.

MineScape would continue to wait, sitting on a laptop only occasionally opened and modified. It would always be there, in the back of my mind, an itch you need to scratch. So I conducted my research, the then roughly hundred thousand lines of code I had written, since not being paid for was owned by me(check). The world, being publicly available and hosted on servers I owned, had no copyright(check). The resourcepack, also being publicly available and no license on being downloaded, as long as I credit the authors, is also not copyrighted unless I intended to specifically sell the resourcepack(check).

We had everything we needed to begin again, but this time it would have to be different. This time, it would be entirely be made from passion, by people who had played the game many years ago, and wanted to express the love they had for the game again.

The rewrite would begin, everyday I would come from university and sit down for endless hours, and chip away at the code, meaning sleepless nights and rushed assignments. Servers and models would be paid for out of the little money left over after food and transport. We would continue to grow and keep somewhat inconsistent but good updates coming.

The now:

And now here we are, hopefully this answers the origin of the server. Like many projects it has been troubled, but a rose can be beautiful with its thorns. Our promise to you is, as long as you keep playing, we will keep pushing the updates. Forever edging closer and closer to viewing the world of Gielinor in all its beauty.

Feel free to ask any questions below, or my DM's are always open.

Yours truly,
Dablakbandit and the team

Last edited:
While the origins are a bit rough, I'm glad you were able to salvage the server and build what we have today. Sorry you had to go through that! Unfortunately, there will always be people attempting to rob you of your work and time. Thanks for giving us Minsecape and continuing the updates :)

While the origins are a bit rough, I'm glad you were able to salvage the server and build what we have today. Sorry you had to go through that! Unfortunately, there will always be people attempting to rob you of your work and time. Thanks for giving us Minsecape and continuing the updates :)
Appreciate the support from the massive community we have now, know this is going to turn out great :D

Much love Bandit ❤. This project could only be where it is today because of you. I’ve been here since the beginning and I’ll be here till the end😃

I just wanted to take the time to thank you for all your hard work, I haven't been part of Minescape since the very start but with the playtime I have I can honestly say I have enjoyed every second of it.

Looking forward to the project moving forward and finding more players that will get the same enjoyment as I do. ♥

There will always be drama, no matter what you do. But we appreciate that you stick through it, anyway, in hope of finding brighter light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not going anywhere!

Thick and thin you've stuck by your project. A lesser man would of given up a long time ago. This server will always have it's ups and downs but in the end all large communities do. Thank you so much Bandit.

There are always ups and downs and at times we may give up or want to give up; I'm glad that you found a way to push through and commit to this! You and the staff are building something great and I'll be here to help in anyway I can. Looking forward to seeing what's to come.

Wow. Didn't know the project had gone through so much drama. Glad to hear that his presence is no longer affecting you.
If you're in need of another software developer with CS education and professional experience in order to grow further, feel free to contact me :)

Keep up the good work sir! I’m a newish guy around, but loving the game you have created and was very impressed with the way everything works.
I will be buying founders soon as I can’t wait to help you out 👍

in game name is bigbrad11 btw

I just wanted to take the time to thank you for all your hard work, I haven't been part of Minescape since the very start but with the playtime I have I can honestly say I have enjoyed every second of it.

Looking forward to the project moving forward and finding more players that will get the same enjoyment as I do. ♥
So great to have players that have stuck with us through this all <3

There will always be drama, no matter what you do. But we appreciate that you stick through it, anyway, in hope of finding brighter light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not going anywhere!
You are most definitely contributing to the longevity of this project, much appreciated <3

Thick and thin you've stuck by your project. A lesser man would of given up a long time ago. This server will always have it's ups and downs but in the end all large communities do. Thank you so much Bandit.
I am very committed to this team and project, we are moving forward always. Thanks for the kind words :)

There are always ups and downs and at times we may give up or want to give up; I'm glad that you found a way to push through and commit to this! You and the staff are building something great and I'll be here to help in anyway I can. Looking forward to seeing what's to come.
Thanks for all the help & the community support has been amazing! Keeping us very motivated

Wow. Didn't know the project had gone through so much drama. Glad to hear that his presence is no longer affecting you.
If you're in need of another software developer with CS education and professional experience in order to grow further, feel free to contact me :)
We have plans for potential developer to join us in the future, so watch out for it and apply! :D

Keep up the good work sir! I’m a newish guy around, but loving the game you have created and was very impressed with the way everything works.
I will be buying founders soon as I can’t wait to help you out 👍

in game name is bigbrad11 btw
Most people are newish, but I have a good feeling most will stay ;) . The server continues to grow and I hope you stay with us through it all.

Back